Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The russians are coming or are they?


After saying they have to have the cartoon by the next day, I have no further word from Snob. Being as they are on the opposite side of the world and when I am asleep they are working, I figured I would have an email waiting this morning. No dice. Oh well, easy come, easy go. It's always dicey messing with publications overseas. You have to get the money up front or you will never see it. Johnny Ryan sold a book to some publishing house in Denmark or the Netherlands or somewhere and they published it and never paid him a thing. I don't doubt for a minute that the Russians would stiff me in a heartbeat. How would I ever collect from them after the fact? There are pirates out there on the high seas of international cartooning! S'mallians!

Here's the cartoon they wanted. This was done for the Delaware Gazette in '96. A couple of years later Koren did the exact same thing for the New Yorker and then later it appeared in One Big Happy. There is practically no way those other artists saw it and then copied it from mine but I take comfort in the fact that I came up with it first.

No comments: